Translate

Dec 21, 2012

(2/3) Me, myself, Stockholm, a crutch and a wheelchair

Stockholm

Looking out the window of the coach I was amazed at the passing landscape as we travelled through the suburbs toward Stockholm. I saw many cars completely buried in snow and walls of snow at the roadside. Because it was still snowing, the coach proceeded slowly forward. Normally the drive from the airport to the City Centre takes about twenty minutes, I suspect that it took about thirty minutes before we reached the final destination, the bus terminal in the heart of Stockholm. As we approached I saw the landscape change from apartment blocks to the beautiful buildings that Stockholm is known for. Suddenly, we went up a ramp and it was evident that we had arrived at the bus terminal.

As I gathered my things I realised that I was exhausted. I was the last one of the bus and thus my luggage and wheelchair were the last one in the cargo bay. Easy as a piece of cake, I lifted my ultra-light wheelchair and luggage from the bay. As the hotel was only 20 m from the terminal, I unfolded the chair, placed my crutch in the holder and my luggage over the seating. I would use the wheelchair as a walker for support. That would be easier if there was to much snow. As I was walking toward the exit, I realised that I forgot the name of the hotel. BRAIN FOG!!! D*MN, what a time and typical when you're tired. However, at that exact moment all I could remember was something BLUE. I went to the service desk: 'Excuse me, do you speak English? I am really tired and I forgot the name of my hotel. All I can remember is that it is supposedly only 20 meters from the terminal and something Blue,' I asked the young man behind the counter. I Can only imagine how ridiculous I must have sounded and still have to laugh at the thought of it.  There are several exits from the terminal and many hotels in the immediate vicinity. The man answered kindly 'Do you maybe mean 'The Royal Viking' from the Radisson Blu hotels?  Yes, that was it! At home I had not written the name of the hotel on a piece of paper because the name of the hotel was almost like the name of my mobile carrier, Mobile Vikings. Remembering the hotel would be simple I thought. Anyhow, the man showed me the easiest way to the hotel and three minutes later I was checking into the hotel.

My room was on the third floor next to the elevator. After bringing my luggage to my room, inspecting the room and saw that all was good, I made a quick call to the home front to let everyone know that I had reached final destination. It was after 1 PM and I was hungry. Across the street was a chain of steak restaurants, I went to eat something small there. It also gave me the chance to observe the inhabitants of Stockholm. They look closed and sophisticated, typical of most any major capitol in the world. I found that if you talk to them nicely and on a personal level trying to speak their own language, that they opened up. I learned very fast to say 'Tack' meaning 'thank you' and 'Tack tack' pronounced double so fast means 'you are welcome.' Being kind gave kindness back. The men next to my table explained local tipping customs and other tips and the waitress showed me the way to the shopping street. She even wrote a 'Thank you' with a big smile on my receipt.

As I had gone across the street with only my crutch and leaving the wheelchair in the hotel room, I decided to go to the main shopping street on foot with the crutch.  It was still snowing and was not a good idea. I saw people falling and slipping. Stockholm is not flat, and I had to manoeuvre through the snow slope up and down. I walked even more slowly than usual. Finding that most of the shops were expensive brand stores and the prices were outrageous in comparison to Belgium I decided to only buy a souvenir for Jason. Jason collects snow globes from all over the world and I chose a nice one for his collection.  I had heard that Stockholm was expensive but strangely the food in the restaurants are cheap in comparison. I also had the feeling that it was late because it was getting dark. Turns out it was only 3 PM. I knew that darkness started earlier than in Belgium but never suspected that in the winter at 3 PM darkness would already start. My body rhythm was totally confused.

Once back in the hotel, I hooked up with Line en Janne. It was nice to meet up with a good friend, you haven't seen in a while.  I first met Line in Ghent at the First International EDS Symposium standing outside smoking a cigarette.  There was an immediate click between us and we have emailed, Facebooked, and spoken with each other since. Having EDS has literally broadened my live in so many ways. You have your good days, your bad days, your coping days, but you also get to broaden and enrich your life in ways you would never thought possible.

The three of us went together for a bite to eat. They invited me for a drink, but I was very very very tired. Exhaustion is typical of EDS and I had also gotten up at 5 AM that morning. I passed and went to bed.

Conference Day


The next morning, I was up bright and early. Janne had already eaten breakfast but accompanied me to the breakfast room. A bit later, Line came for her cup of coffee. At 10 am the Nordic Delegate EDS Conference would start.

The conference started slowly because of the weather some participants were a bit delayed. It was nice seeing people I had met in Ghent and meeting new people as well. There were delegates from Denmark, Sweden, Norway (Line and Janne), Aland Island, and Finland. I was honoured to be allowed to participate. Some of the conference was done in English, but very often they fell back to their own language. I must be a natural linguist because I started understanding and could follow. I learned a lot and I was also able to give ideas and suggestions as well. Thanks guys for letting met come! The conference ended sometime in the evening and we all went to eat something together.

After everyone said their goodbyes and the participants staying in the hotel returned to their rooms, Line, Janne and I went to the pub a few doors further. It was an English pub. I really could relate to them and it was like a true girls night out. Yes EDS is in our lives, but that night not much over EDS was discussed. Janne was tired and left round 11 PM while Line and I stayed on. After a while we went back to the hotel bar and drank some Irish Whiskey's to finish the night off. I believe we went to our rooms around 1:30 in the am. I had a nice night and have become even closer with my new friends. I have made a friend for life, another soul mate!


(read part three next time)