Translate

Dec 1, 2012

Winter is coming!



Winter is coming! The first real cold has arrived and a first snow fall of the year is expected. How I love it when the scenery changes from a wet and dreary, trees without leaves changing to glistening white covered. A child playing in the snow, smoke rising out of a chimney from a snow covered house. The first Christmas light being hung outside. It looks always so magical, just a fairy tale!

Right a fairy tale because looks can be deceiving. Winter for me is watching out for the danger. Every step I make I can slip and fall. Just imagine, on a bright hot summery day, I walk on even underground and suddenly I am laying on the ground for no reason at all, it seems, just like I tripped over my own toes. A hip that may have gone out of joint, an ankle that twisted or for no apparent cause. If I can fall on those conditions, what will winter be for me, the slippery and icy underground to navigate while I try to keep my balance and my joints in place! I will be just like the old folks stuck inside while everyone else is playing in the snow outside. My crutch will not keep me stable, my wheelchair will spin.

The first snow falls and my husband wants to go skiing. When I was younger I did ski, always with a lot of pain and the accompanying fall accidents. How I wish I could do that walking in the snow, having a snowball fight, skiing.

I celebrate winter and have decided to enjoy it on another way! I transform my house into a magical living space. If everyone is outside enjoying the magic, I will enjoy the magic inside! A true indoor fairyland with a Christmas tree and magical decorations, a background music that brings peace and serenity.

Instead on focusing what I can not do, I have decided to focus on what I CAN DO! That is my way, that is what I have chosen for!